Sunday, November 04, 2007

Getting Things in the Mail

Isn't it always exciting? Except when it's bills or junk mail. Or rejection letters. Those keep rolling in everyday. But packages are the best, even when you order them yourself.

Awhile ago I agreed to be on the Better World Books advisory panel. In exchange for an hour long interview with a marketer, I got a $50 gift certificate for the website. Better World Books is trying to reposition themselves as "Amazon with a soul." They contribute profits to literacy projects and also have eco-friendly shipping. The prices are in line with Amazon, although there is no marketplace (but you can get used books). It is also not quite as user-friendly, but they are working on it. I highly recommend it. They are good people.

Anyway, I got 6 books (1 new and 5 used) with my $50, and they came in the mail yesterday. In honor of my love of Lasso the Wind, I bought three other Tim Egan books - I hope they are just as good. I also bought a Terry Tempest Williams book I haven't read, a book by David James Duncan, and Plenty (the 100 mile diet book). I am excited! I also have a back log of magazines to catch up on. I better do some bus riding this week.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Funny, I thought we discussed using your $50 for Christmas presents instead of yourself...