Friday, April 13, 2007

100 Mile Diet

Many people ask the question, is it better to buy local or organic? Buying organic is generally easier for most of us. The Smith's here in Socorro even has a small (and over-priced) organic section, while the one local farmer's market only lasts from July - October and is less than comprehensive. Local food from small family farms is probably more likely to be organic, or at least natural, than what you normally buy at a grocery store. Farmer's markets also give you the opportunity to discuss growing practices with farmers and encourage them to become more enivronmentally- and health-friendly. And food from farmer's markets does not travel 1500 miles to get your plate.

To be completely honest, I have not shopped at a Farmer's Market since I lived in Bend in the summer of 2003. A few of us would head over from work to be there close to opening since it sold out fast. We then took our (reusable) produce bags back to the office until the work-day was over. Some communities require more effort to find local eating options. The closest we get here is buying local Albuquerque or Santa Fe products from the grocery stores. But who knows where the ingredients to those products come from.

So here is my idea (which I have not discussed with Matt). We can be lazy for the rest of the time in Socorro, since we know that our backyard is definitely not meant for growing things. Then, when we move to Albuquerque, we will try out this 100 mile diet. You can also find local resources here. We have already looked into Los Poblanos Organics (a CSA) and the Rio Grande Community Farm where you can get individual plots. We will also grow some things in pots on our balcony or patio. There are nearby places that sell local eggs (not sure about meat for Matt). The biggest challenge I think is finding grains and beans, etc. Also, the challenge of preserving things for winter when not much grows. The 100 Mile Diet page has links to some places that teach you how to do this.

I am not intending to be perfect about this diet. We like going out to eat, and if we had friends, we certainly would not make them subscribe to this. But to be able to grow or buy most of our food would be a fantastic step in our relationship to nature as well as helping the environment. I know Ms. A. greatly enjoyed her time spent growing things.

I realize y'all are probably thinking, gosh, she's been talking about growing a garden for 3 years now and still hasn't done it. Please, please, please, if I don't start doing these things when we move to Albuquerque, slap me. Electronically. Leave me comments and make fun of me. I will deserve it. Sure, growing and eating local takes some research and a lot of time, but I think it will be time better spent than watching tv or playing on the internet.

Also, Matt and I made a fantastic potato, leek, and carrot soup last night. Growing up, I would never have imagined that I would ever eat leeks, but I enjoy a wide variety of vegetables now, and I am eager to see what new things I will encounter in my quest to eat locally.

No comments: