Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I'm not very smart

I wrote a whole blog yesterday detailing how my company was screwing everyone out of their 401k matching funds, but it turns out it's just me. Matching funds are dispersed in January and June, and you have to have worked 1000 hours to receive them and be working on the dates of disbursement. So since I started last July, I did not start accruing matching funds until January. As it turns out, however, you have to work 1000 hours during every 6 month period. I was told that if I was on leave in June, I would still receive my disbursement. However, because of my leave (and my 20 hours of LWOP on my honeymoon), I only worked 978 hours and therefore was not eligible for disbursement. I think if someone had told me that earlier I would have figured out how to get that extra 22 hours. And thus be over a thousand dollars richer. But alas.

(In case you were wondering how I first thought this screwed everyone, it goes as follows. 40 hours x 26 weeks = 1040 hours. 5.86 hours PTO per pay period = 76 ish. 1040 - 76 =964 <1000. As it turns out PTO hours count for hours worked. The only thing that doesn't count is leave without pay.)

So basically because I took a honeymoon, I did not get my 401k. Bastards. That oughta be some sort of discrimination.

1 comment:

baillie said...

Would it help if I sold one of my kidneys? They're probably in OK shape.