Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Life of an Unemployed Woman, or How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Live Like My Sister. Only Without a Gainfully Employed Husband.

You might be wondering what it is I do all day. I wonder that too. And yet I feel like I am always busy.

Matt beat me to the post about my parents' visit. See it here.

Since my last post I have received two more rejections - one from the CDL camp and one from an engineering company that apparently discriminates against hydrologists. I've also applied to about 20 other jobs. That brings the total up to at least 65 in Albuquerque alone. I have lost count. No joke.

I have an article going in the LA Times health section this Monday (and hopefully they will give me another assignment despite my need for extensive editing). I have a story lined up for High Country News if I can get Duncan Hunter (California Congressman running for President) to speak with me. I might also have an article with Plenty or This Old House. So at least there is some money coming in. Maybe. Eventually. Certainly not enough to pay the bills.

My lovely sister and her husband sent me a natural food gift basket to feed me in the hard times. Aren't they sweet? I am particularly excited about the cookies. And the cheese puffs. Luckily Matt will be gone for three days so I don't have to share with him.

In other news, I have to iron a tuxedo shirt tonight. I don't think I have ironed since I left my parents' house. Any tips?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So, I was on the job search today and I found a government recreation job ( I think in Colorado?) that I was interested in, but at the bottom of the announcement under qualifications, it mentioned that they prefer non-tobacco users. Now, I'm not a tobacco user, so it shouldn't bother me, but isn't that discrimination? can that even be included on a government job announcement? Hmmm.

Karen said...

If tuxedo shirt is for husband why is husband not ironing it himself? Also why is husband needing to wear a tuxedo shirt?

Alison said...

The tuxedo shirt is for my catering gig. That's right. I look stunning. Don't hate on me.