Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The Arlo Guthrie Family Legacy Tour

This show actually came to Socorro last night. Matt got in for free, being a student, and because it was sold out, we conned another student into getting me a ticket so I could go too. I am so glad we didn't miss this!

Arlo Guthrie, his son Abe, his daughter Sarah Lee, her husband Johnny Irion, and some random guy were all there. It was fantastic. Arlo told some funny stories and of course included the usual songs and and commentary against war and the current state of the world. I had heard of Sarah Lee Guthrie and Johnny Irion before, but never really paid much attention. Her voice is beautiful and they have written some great songs. Johnny also plays a mean harmonica. The group played some of Woody's, Arlo's, and Sarah Lee/Johnny Irion's songs. It was pretty neat. I am considering picking up Exploration so I can listen to them some more.

Matt and I were definitely some of the youngest people in the audience, as all the New Mexico hippies came out of the woodwork for this one. But as Arlo said, unfortunately most of this music is still relevant today, some 50-70 years after it was written. Ya'll should check this out.

No comments: