Sunday, April 01, 2007

Barb's Dream Kitchen

This past Saturday, on our way home from the grocery store, Matt and I decided that we should stop by Barb's Dream Kitchen, formerly known as Tastee Freeze, to grab a quick lunch. We had been to Tastee Freeze before to acquire Tastee vanilla cones and Freezies, but we had never eaten there. Everything is still the same; we can only assume that Barb lost her Tastee Freeze franchise (or stopped paying) but kept the ice cream machine.

At any rate, when we got there, it took the lady at the cash register about 10 minutes to ring up our order. I am pretty sure I am not exaggerating here. I put in my order, filled both of our soda cups, and sat down at a table for several minutes before Matt returned from paying. When we first arrived, there was a small boy (3 years old or less) eating an ice cream sundae at the table closest to the kitchen. The table also contained numerous Duplos. Before long, the boy finished his sundae, went back to the kitchen, and returned with two 'remote' control cars attached to their controls with wires. He immediately came over to our table and began playing. He did not quite understand the concept of the cars yet, as he preferred to move them with his hands and drop them off the table, which may have contributed to why they didn't work the day before (according to one of the workers). At any rate, after awhile one of the workers came over and sent him back to his booth. He stayed there for not long before returning to us. She came back shortly thereafter, spanked him really good in front of us, and carried him back to the booth where he cried for awhile. A few minutes later he returned to our table. We warned him to go back before he got caught, but instead he 'hid' underneath our table. When Grandma came to get him that time, she said, "He must really like you." She proceeded to pick him up lovingly while telling me a story about how the other day he sat in his daddy's lap and backed a backhoe off a semi all by himself. Then she sat him back in his booth again and brought him out another ice cream sundae, which he ate with his hands. Matt and I decided to slip out at this time.

All this, and I forgot to discuss the pork I ate. Oh yes, I ordered a bean burrito, which I should have figured, being in New Mexico, would have contained chili. And I maybe should have suspected that the green chili had pork in it. But alas, I forgot. I took two bites before realizing that Matt's smothered burrito had many meaty chunks in it, at which time I inspected the innards of my burrito. Same pork chunks. Yum. One of the waitresses asked me why I wasn't eating my food but then didn't offer to bring me anything out to replace it. Alas. This is what you get for supporting local businesses in Socorro. It was, at the very least, entertaining. I don't often get to play cars with small boys at restaurants (Matt doesn't like to bring his).

2 comments:

Karen said...

Kids like you! It is a sign :)

baillie said...

No, I think I speak for us both when I say that just because the kid liked Alison does not mean we're going to adopt him.