Saturday, February 17, 2007

Consumerism

It took me three tries starting my computer tonight before it actually came up with some icons. I think it has reached its last days. Luckily, I ordered a new one just yesterday that should arrive before the end of the month. And it is a kick-ass computer so hopefully it will last more than 3.5 years. I hate to buy new stuff, but this thing just can't hack it anymore. I will probably have it recycled or donated somewhere, providing that some computer tech is able to make it work a bit better. It really irks me that computers are basically built not to last. 'Improvements' in web pages and programs quickly makes older computers obsolete. I think this one has 128mb of RAM, or something pathetic like that. My new one with have 2GB!

Perhaps the best thing would be for me to learn how to live without a computer again, but I have been sucked in too far. What would I do without email? Without Word, so I can submit my endless applications? Without the internet so I can avoid using a phonebook? Maybe if I had a social life. But I don't; I just have my husband. Who is pursuing a PhD and therefore often unavailable. So it's just me and my computer. I should go read a book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Allison, if your computer is still working :) send me your email address and I will add you on the blog. You're right. Stalking is a two way street, and I have stalked you too long without you doing the same. :)