Friday, April 18, 2008

What month is it?

Yesterday morning, I was leaving KGS's house in Santa Fe at 7:30 in the morning, when things started falling out of the sky. It wasn't rain, it wasn't snow, it wasn't hail, although it looked kind of like it. Matt has confirmed my suspicion that it was graupel (sp?), some over 1/4 inch in diameter. I then got in my car and started on my 1 1/2 hour journey southeast to Estancia. While driving it started to snow, and while listening to the radio I discovered that not only was it snowing in Santa Fe, but also farther south in Albuquerque and Moriarty. Great. And I kid you not, I drove through a snow storm the whole way. Snow was still falling as I walked from my car into the Torrance County Courthouse.

I can't remember when the last time I drove through snow like that was. Sure I've done it driving home from work in the foothills, but then it only lasted a few minutes. Not 90. I drove through low-visibility, through snow sticking to the roads, to farmland covered in snow with plants or grass just peaking out. It really was like being back in Michigan again, driving through farms in endlessly falling snow. It was kind of cool. I can think that now because the snow eventually stopped and I did not get stuck in Estancia with my little Echo. However, I did drive through a bit of snow again on I40 between Moriarty and Albuquerque. In the second half of April. That was yesterday. Today it is supposed to be nearly 80 degrees. What in the world is wrong with this state?

No comments: