Thursday, October 04, 2007

A Night of Beer (Just not for Me)

So yesterday I completed a 15 hour shift with my catering company. I got there at 6:10 in the morning and stayed until 9:10 at night. I could have stayed later last night but after I spilled a glass of water I decided maybe I should leave. The day involved two events and a bit of prep work. Then I went back at 6:10 this morning but I left 2.5 hours later.

But the big story is who I served. An elite party of Albuquerque VIPs (some of whom I had seen at a previous engagement, leading me to believe that there aren't many people in the Albuquerque elite) was gathered for a 6 course dinner with paired beers in honor of a certain founder of a Boston-based beer company. I'm pretty sure I signed a confidentiality statement, but I'm not naming any names here. He was sort of nice. About the 10th time I brought appetizers around he took one and actually said thank you. I only served 3 of the courses, but I don't think I'm into the whole fine dining experience. I would rather stick to buffets and cocktail parties. The hosts' backyard was absolutely gorgeous though. It was again over by the river, had a pool without any concrete surrounding it, an in-ground fire-pit, immaculate landscaping, and Italian fountain and so much more. This is how I get to see how the other half lives. The daughter of the hosts' was miraculously well-adjusted and helped out in the kitchen all night.

Now I have heard that the hostess tips extremely well (I think what this means is that she throws a lot of parties), but I left early so I don't know what that means for me. I wanted to stay to make sure but in the end I decided my future was more important than a big tip as I have two job interviews today and I didn't want to be a sleepwalker at them.

No comments: