Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Albuquerque

When Matt first told me that he was taking classes this semester, his round-a-bout way of telling me he had decided to stay in grad school (oh hey by the way, we're staying here), I was fairly upset. I had spent many hours applying to jobs out-of-state, mostly because I was excited about pursuing science communication and writing, and there just aren't any jobs in that arena here in the Burque. Plus we will probably be here for at least 3 more years, not just the 2 that had been originally promised to me.

Anyway, last night we went for a walk around the neighborhood. We live about 5 blocks from Old Town, where there is a nice park, lots of museums, and of course the Plaza with food and shopping (although a bit out of our price range.) And we live in a cute little adobe where it is 1:20 pm and I haven't turned the swamp cooler on yet. And the science center is hiring, so if I am lucky maybe I can get a job there. At any rate, I have calmed down a lot. This really might be a nice place to live. However, I think the job prospects mean fewer (if any) vacations and fewer extraneous purchases (including food and drink). After last year, we will have to adjust to the life of grad students - and I will have to stop worrying so much about saving money for the future. I have to go back to not worrying about responsibility. It's not like we have kids yet. We are still young and care free. No future security is necessary just yet. (Okay well I'm just giving myself a pep talk.) Anybody got any job ideas for me?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I told Matt (guzzardo) about our book store and bakery idea. He loved it. And he thinks we could make it happen. He really believed in us. We were also thorwing a few back at the tavern when this conversation took place. We were celebrating his finally getting hired with PFD...his idea btw. I had two beers and he had like 4 vodka cranberries. I am so lame.

Alison said...

Okay, I'll let you know how the job search goes to see if I can justify Jackson. Wanna do it in ABQ instead?

Unknown said...

Target always did me justice. I think the red will suit you. On the other hand, perhaps there is a Paradise Bakery in your neighborhood.

Unknown said...

In ABQ? Are you SURE you would wanna start our business venture there? Will we be able to fly fish on the weekends in ABQ? And can we live in a log cabin in ABQ? Just questions to consider when figuring out the location for our book store bakery. I've even started brainstorming store names. None that I am ready to reveal.