Monday, July 09, 2007

More Updates. And Santa Monica. Again. With Pictures.

I have to apologize for my recent lack of posts - I have been without internet again and only finally got it back this evening.

In summary:

Last weekend Jackie and I went to the beach in Santa Monica yet again and then to the Huntington Gardens in Pasadena. It was hot in the inland valley ya'll. Hot and humid. How do those southerners handle it?

Monday and Tuesday at work I had to help another lady with an article - it ran on A1 Thursday without my byline. Alas...

Wednesday I actually got the day off. My fellow fellows chickened out on the hiking owing to the heat, so I went by myself. I took the Sam Merrill trail to the Castle Canyon trail to Inspiration Point - gorgeous but bad view.


After that I drove down to San Diego to hang out with Laura and Kyle on the 4th. They were gracious enough to host me last minute so that I could get up at a reasonable hour to head to Imperial Valley on Thursday.


I spent that day in 120 degree heat checking out some canals and graveyards - story to follow later this week I hope.

Friday it was back to work, but I didn't accomplish much other than finding out I lost my job at Sandia. Yup. I am officially unemployed. Well, officially I am still on leave, but you know. So I have no idea how we are gonna pay the rent come August. Anyone have a lucky lottery ticket?

Matt showed up at the Greyhound bus station several hours late on Friday, but I'll let him relate his experiences. While he was here we:

  • Checked out Pasadena
  • Visited the La Brea Tar Pits
  • Drove through Hollywood
  • Hung out in Santa Monica (again)
  • Hiked to a waterfall
  • Went to a Dodgers game
  • Strolled through Griffith Park
  • Had a beer at Good in Silverlake
Now it's back to the old grindstone. I think the pollution is catching up to me, as I can barely breathe right now. Time to take some drugs!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Where is said waterfall? Are the LaBrea tar pits worth visiting? Whose Seahawks sweatshirt is that?

baillie said...

The waterfall is up in Altadena, which is north of Pasadena.
The tar pits fer friggin awesome, although a little bit stinky. I tried to hurry for Alison's benefit.
The Seahawks sweatshirt belongs to noted Seahawks fan Laura, who is on the left half of the picture.