Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Apologies to my blog friends

What has happened to me? I used to be somewhat prolific. And I used to put two spaces between every sentence. And sometimes I even had interesting things to talk about.

I have been in the City of Angels for about 10 days now. I have been to Santa Monica twice - not sure why, didn't mean to. And I forgot my camera both times. Next time I'll remember! Last night the other Fellows and I had an informal get together. Four of us were there early, so we had a snack at Johnny Rocket's on the Promenade.

Problem #1

They were out of peanut butter. In case anyone else is an addict like me, there is nothing like a Johnny Rocket's chocolate peanut butter shake. And for the record, a chocolate oreo shake is just not that great. It's gotta be peanut butter - I wasted my money on that one.

Problem #2

We apparently got some guy arrested. While we were sitting at the table, a man who only spoke Spanish stood directly in front of our table on the other side of the railing and talked to us. In Spanish. For. A. Long. Time.

When we left, the guys at the table next to us (with 4 small children) asked us if we enjoyed our entertainment. When I thanked them for helping us, they pointed over to where the police had him in handcuffs. I sure didn't think he was that bad. It seems like the LAPD ought to have more pressing things on their hands than arresting some bum bothering some girls on the Promenade.

Problem #3

A dinner reservation was made at an Italian restaurant in Santa Monica. It was at 2600. We were at 200. We called the one male in our group and asked him to pick the 5 of us up at a corner and drive us to the restaurant.

Problem #4

The restaurant was expensive.

***

Despite the problems, we had a good time. Everyone seems to be intelligent, friendly, and have a good sense of humor. I'm glad I ended up in a city with other Fellows around. I might be pretty bored and lonely by now otherwise.

3 comments:

Karen said...

What do you mean by expensive? Expensive by your US standards or expensive by Geneva standards?

Unknown said...

Hi friend! I am glad to hear that things are going well. I can't believe you have already been there 10 days! I want to plan a trip out to visit, are there any weekends that would be particularly bad???

Anonymous said...

Ah, the promenade. Someone's always getting arrested for something or other. :)

Here's some other ideas, if a "long stretch of outdoor shopping mall" grows tiresome:

~Sunset Junction in Silverlake (cool shops, people watching, a bar or two, good food--check out the store "Reform School")

~Japan Town in West LA for conveyor belt sushi and funny little stores

~The Getty Center~art AND the best views of L.A. from above

~last weekend we did a very easy hike at Solstice Canyon Loop in Malibu. I know you're more of a fierce hiker, but this was at least a nice stroll for a pregnant lady and her menopaused mother. Only 3 miles and nice views. And a waterfall!

i'll try to think of some more favorites.