Thursday, April 12, 2007

What I Do

I'm sure many of you spend your days and nights scratching your heads over what it is I do in my (semi) chosen profession. Well here is a little taste. This is a partial screenshot of the software program I use. All these circles and rectangles have equations or logic in them that I create to replicate a natural or social system. This is an unrefined model page:


I just finished this yesterday. Believe it or not, the lower right hand, un-bordered stuff is all programming agricultural water diversions. I was trying to solve a problem as to how to pro-rate leases throughout the year. The little level system on the right finally worked out perfectly.

Next is what a refined model page looks like. Once I get it the way I want it, I color it up all pretty and delete all extraneous variables, so that in theory, someone else could understand my model.


And then there are Excel spreadsheets. This particular model is hooked up to 4 workbooks, some inputs and some outputs, with the largest one being 35MB. I have some data going back to 1897. That is correct. So anyways, this is what I've been doing for the last 9 months or so. Exciting, isn't it?

No comments: