Thursday, January 04, 2007

Happy New Year!

Well, I have been informed that I have not blogged for a long time. I did not, however, realize that it had come to be well over a month. Damn! At any rate, here is the first blog of the new year.

Matt and I just got back from visiting my sister and her husband in Switzerland. It was quite freezing and there was not much snow, but it was a good time none-the-less. We spent a few days in Geneve and a few days in a little town in the Alps that was absolutely gorgeous. We went hiking in the valley one day, hiking across the Alps one day, and snowboarding for part of a day. We also saw some glaciers - everyone must try to do this before they all disappear! The most hilarious part (now) of the trip was probably the fact that I could not get up the lift on my snowboard. They had some sort of strange t-bar/tow rope thing that I kept falling off, resulting in a BEAUTIFUL bruise on my ass (let me know if you would like to see a picture of that). At any rate, I had to hike up the run each and every time I wanted to board down. I am a complete loser, but at least I got my exercise! And the snowboarding part was great fun.

The other highlight of the trip was going to a castle - Chateau de Chillon - near Montreaux, the Swiss Riviera. It was cloudy, rainy, and sometimes snowy but still beautiful.

Last night we arrived terribly jet-lagged in Phoenix, and I spent today working from my parent's house. There is something to be said for a job with flexibility. I didn't really have any New Year's resolutions until now, but I think it will be to enjoy and appreciate the great things I have and stop thinking that the grass might be greener elsewhere.

The other wonderful news of the year is that I have been diagnosed with food allergies and am now on an awful diet trying to figure out exactly what it is. I just hope I am not too skinny for my wedding dress fitting on Saturday - it is hard to take in enough calories when you don't eat meat and can't eat wheat, corn, soy, and peanuts. Good times. The worst side effects of this plan were missing out on fondue in Switzerland and indirectly contributing to the car accident of an un-named friend who was so kind to come see me at my house.

At any rate, this is the start of 2007 and soon to be the start of my 27th year (when did I ever get so old?). I wish everyone peace and happiness and hope you can follow those pesky resolutions.

Things I look forward to:
(oh and by the way I recently learned that dangling prepositions are acceptable)

  • Getting married
  • Bridal shower and bachelorettte party (in 1 month!)
  • Seeing all my friends and family who are coming in for the wedding
  • Getting to hang out with my bridesmaids
  • Having friends in New Mexico
  • Making new friends (one can always dream)
  • Starting new activities
  • Learning languages
  • Reducing my environmental footprint
  • The end of the Iraq War
  • A Democrat-run Congress
  • The end of the crisis in Darfur
  • AND world peace (just to prove I could win a 'scholarship' contest too)


Peace out!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to see a picture of the bruise please. Also, I am happy to learn about the dangling prepositions. Good luck with the friends in New Mexico.

Anonymous said...

hello!