Sunday, February 03, 2008

Hanging Out with Hillary

Last night worked much better. The line moved faster, I'm pretty sure everyone got into the gym, metal detectors were actually used and tickets collected. I guess good things do come from experience ;).

We were super close to Hillary - about 6 rows of people back, so good view. Several people gave speeches before she showed up, as she was running late due to her engagements in LA and Tucson earlier that afternoon. I was impressed with Henry Cisneros, former Mayor of San Antonio and Secretary of Housing under President Clinton. Awesome guy. Also, Dolores Huerta, founder of the United Farm Workers. And finally they brought Lt. Gov. Diane Denish, Chelsea Clinton, and Hillary all up on-stage together. It was awesome to see women! (Now I realize it is also awesome for a minority to be a viable presidential candidate, but when I look at and listen to Obama, all I see is another slick white male who is maybe has a darker skin tone. I'm sure people could say the same about Hillary not being very womanly, but I disagree. And I am not proposing in any way that Obama is "not black enough." Just that he's more of the same. Except with a vision of change. But no experience. I digress.)

Hillary started out her speech talking about the environment, renewable energy, and green collar jobs. So of course I loved her from the start. Every subject she brought up she talked about specific things she would do to fix the situation. This was a far cry from Obama's talk about getting Bush out of the White House and bringing on change. Now, Matt will be the first to remind me that we didn't stay for Obama's whole speech, as it was too damn cold, but I think Hillary jumped right in. She concluded by talking about tonight's forum and telling us that she wanted us to know what she stood for and what she would do for us. Awesome. She really seems to have more concrete ideas than Obama. Also Obama apparently is in favor of the fence along the border. Honestly, a statement like that can only come from someone who knows nothing about the West or has no heart. I have to believe that for Obama it is the first, as I do think he is a good man. But he had never been to Santa Fe (not sure about Albuquerque) before Friday. Candidates who care about the West are very important to me. I am not an East Coaster, and I'm pretty sure I never will be.

That said, I am going to read my two Newsweek issues about each of the candidates in preparation for voting Tuesday. But I definitely am leaning strongly.

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

I was fascinated by this - so far you are the first person I have heard express real excitement about Hillary. BUT, you are also one of my more well-informed friends. So thanks a lot, now I will think about my vote all over again some more. (seriously, thanks)

Unknown said...

I agree with everything you have said. I have not seen Hillary live, yet, but when I saw Bill on Thursday, he was VERY specific about what she was going to do to change America. Not only is that the first time I have heard such specifics during this race, it is the first I have EVER heard a candidate be so specific and I have heard many candidates, at many levels speak in the past. I really do think she has already established a good plan for what she is going to do when she gets into office and I think that is important. Further, given her expereince, I think she knows what she can and cannot do when she gets in. I think we are in such a horrible mess right now in America that we need someone who can get in there and start making change on day one. I am almost positive Obama will not be able to do that; however, I am ready to believe that Hillary can.

Alison said...

Update after perusing my magazines:

New York magazine came right out and said it - if you're a realist you're for Clinton and if you're a romantic you're for Obama. I kind of want to be for Obama. I feel like most other young people I know (with the exception of Ms. A, of course) are pro-Obama. They are inspired by him and by his message of hope. I kind of want to be. But everyone who knows me knows that I am jaded and cynical. And maybe that is why I am skeptical of hope.

On the other hand, one of the magazines asserted that Obama really does have explicit policy positions, but that he prefers a message of rhetoric rather than specifics. I am a bit lazy to look into this deeply. But I agree with Ms. A that even if he does have positions, does he really know what to do with them?

I do worry that Hillary is polarizing. I am not sure why. Can it be that even women are still sexist and afraid of a strong, powerful women? All I know is that it was so inspiring to see those 3 women up on that stage. Now I am not a minority, so I have no idea how inspiring it is to see Obama up on the stage. I assume it is similar.

But.

I am jaded and cynical.