Friday, July 13, 2007

Bus Stories Part 2

Most mornings I try to catch the bus that comes to Figueroa and Burwood at 7:52 a.m., putting me at work around 8:30. I used to get up early enough to get a bus that got me to work around 8, but then I never got to eat my landlady's breakfast. Sometimes I take an even later bus if I am lazy or breakfast is slow.

I can't remember if I noticed this character the first time I got on the 7:52 bus or if he started riding the bus after I did. At any rate, one stop down the road from me, every time I ride the 7:52 bus, an older man wearing a baseball cap, Hawaiian shirt (different most days), and slacks gets on the bus. Every morning he shows his pass to the bus driver and asks him or her to call out Temple Street. Every morning, if available, he sits in the same seat - the first one on the opposite side from the driver. If that seat is not available, he keeps moving as people get off until he gets that seat. Every morning when the bus passes the stop before his, he stands up, holds on to the rail as close to the driver as possible, and asks something to the extent of, Is Temple street next, is this temple street, or can you call out Temple street please. Every day. Obviously, folks, since he stands up at the same place every day, he knows where Temple Street is. So why does the bus driver always need to tell him? I'm not sure.

Keep in mind that most of the time buses have automated systems that call out streets. I will grant that these are not always in operation. And I will grant that the first few times I rode the bus I was nervous about where to get off. But folks, it's been at least a month. I think he knows.

On Thursday I discovered something about him that I did not know because I had never sat very close to him. He talks. I'm not sure if it's to himself or if he wants other passengers to listen, but he makes comments. Often about what's going on on the TV (yes, the bus has it's own TV channel).

His stop is only one before mine. I wonder what he does each day in downtown L.A. I have never seen him on a bus ride home, so I suspect he does not work a full day, if he has a job. Maybe one day I will ask him. But I doubt it. I never talk to people on the bus.

***

On a side note, today I tried reading on the bus because I'm trying to get through the book of a guy I'm going to interview next week. But I felt disconnected. I felt like I needed to look out the window and to people-watch my fellow passengers. I felt like I was missing something with my nose in the book. Am I odd?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

You? Odd? Maybe....

I think you need to follow that guy after he gets off the buss. It may be a cool adventure! If nothing else, it would be something aimless to blog about......

Karen said...

Not odd! People watching is one of the best activities and buses or any other sort of public transportation are some of the best viewing areas :) Also note that you get this honestly from your mother and I am guilty as well - usually Bernie complains that I never pay attention to him at dinner because I am always watching the other people in the restaurant.