Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Earthquake!

That's right folks, last night at 11:16pm Socorro time, there was a magnitude 3.3 earthquake 6km west of Socorro. It woke me up and scared the crap out of me. I think Matt thought someone was breaking into our house. Since we'd been asleep, we weren't really sure if it had been a noise that woke us up, but I was pretty sure it was movement and can't remember if it had been accompanied by a noise. I am used to the house shaking from various explosions Tech undertakes on purpose, but this definitely felt different - I guess because the ground was moving. I wasn't convinced it was an earthquake until this morning when the Albuquerque Journal and the USGS verified it. I am fairly convinced an "aftershock" woke me up later, but there is no mention of one.

This is the second earthquake I have felt in my life, the last one being my freshman year of college when we could feel tremblings from a California earthquake in our dorm. That woke me up too.

I guess the universe is prepping me for my summer in LA...

2 comments:

baillie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
baillie said...

I hereby revise my wish to:
I would like to, once in my life, be awake for a low-intensity earthquake.