Thursday, May 10, 2007

Continued

I just picked up this week's Newsweek and read Anna Quindlen's The Last Word - Still the Brightest. In the wake of David Halberstam's recent death, Quindlen discusses the impact he had on journalism by doing extensive research, looking for answers where no one else wanted to go, and revealing information to the public. She notes his endless sense of "intelligent curiosity" that inspired her, along with other younger writers, to live up to their potential.

I must confess that I have never read Halberstam's book on Vietnam, "The Best and the Brightest," but I have nevertheless been well aware of his influence on journalism and the American public. I plan to add some of his books to my reading list. The tradition of Edward R. Murrow and David Halberstam must continue. I hope that journalists everywhere will continue to be responsible citizens by using their platforms to educate the public and reveal injustice wherever it may be, whether in front of our noses or in hiding. And as citizens, I think that we must demand this from our media.

No comments: