Friday, October 20, 2006

Socorro



I really didn't expect New Mexico to be very different from Arizona. But one day alone can really sum it up. In the morning, two days ago, there was ice on our windshields. In the middle of October. Later in the day after it had melted, I decided that I should drive to the hardware store to acquire an ice scraper. Alas, the ice scrapers were still in the attic and no one offered to go get one for me.

Next, I went to the local bank to close my account because of the awful, awful service. I am selling out to Bank of America because at least they are professional and help out the environment. At any rate, the local bank charged me $3 for the cashier's check. I was tempted to ask for my thousands of dollars in cash and carry it across the plaza to the other bank, but I decided to be good. The customer service agent at the local bank, whom I shall call Gabe, was wearing a polo shirt and jeans that were falling off his behind. The desktop background on his computer was an Ultimate Fighter. It took him well over 10 minutes to close my account.

As I look out my office window, I see an old rusty bed frame hanging on our fence. Why? I have no idea. The landlord keeps moving it around but never removing it, as if we enjoy the decoration.

There are street lights, also known as 'security' lights, in the back yards rather than on the street.

Our manufactured home is one of the nicest residences on our block.

Tonight, I am excited because the one screen movie theater is actually showing a movie I want to see. Luckily the only showing of said movie is at a good time for us. The tickets will be cheaper than the popcorn, and the popcorn won't be very good at all, but I will buy some because there is no where better to eat.

And that, my friends, is Socorro in a nutshell.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Come home! But just remember, Phoenix ain't all that hot either.... :) Miss you!